Logo
Rodding Roundtable
Home  |  Forums  |  Events  |  Members  |  Webring  |  Tech  |  Merchandise  |  Contact  |  Services
abLinks   |  Want Ads  |  Advertising  
   ForumForum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   AlbumAlbum   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classified AdsClassified Ads Search AdsSearch Ads

diagnosing starting problem

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Rodder's Roundtable
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFS57
Nobleman

User's Age: (72)

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 06 2015, 6:57 pm    Post subject: diagnosing starting problem Reply with quote

Hello;
Oh darn the luck! Im having this problem with my 32. It happens when the engine is hot or cold. The starter sometimes just doesn't engage at all but if I repeditly try the key, it kicks over and starts!?
I read someplace that repeated use of an underpower battery can reek havoc on the starter solenoid!? I had an under powered battery in the car for quite some time, now I corrected that by installing a red top battery! I think it's either the wire from the switch that needs replaced or, the starter solenoid. Sometime when I have this problem, I get out and give the solenoid a slight TAP and it usually seems fine just after that.
Lookin for answers here, anyone have some words of wisdom?
Checked my alternator and it seems fine putting out just over 14 volts at idle. It's Anyone's guess.

Bruce
416Ford
Knight Regular

User's Age: (52)

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 07 2015, 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are able to start it after tapping the solenoid I would say the odds are good that the solenoid is bad.
Sounds like a Chevy engine...If it is.... I would take the starter off and have it tested. If you can test the solenoid wires when it does not start. that would tell you also.

kb426
Paladin

User's Age: (64)

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 07 2015, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My history has been more solenoid problems than anything else. I have bought repair kits that allow you to replace the contacts and the plunger for way less money that a replacement unit.
GPster
Earl

User's Age: (68)

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 07 2015, 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also had battery terminal connections or frame grounds that were not tight act like that. Sometimes the loose connections have a little spark in them that creates some heat at that joint. The heat causes the metal at that union to expand and create tightness at the joint which allows current to flow.. GPster
BFS57
Nobleman

User's Age: (72)

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 07 2015, 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello;
Well, after batteling it this morning. I was seeing that the battery was down to a little over 12 volts! Just put that battery in. So, Got the battery charger and gave it a charge! It took a while but it went up! Now, it satrts really fine.
What I am thinking is that I have a drain in the system (I think it's the door poppers) so I eithor have to constantly charge the battery or figgure out a dis-connect of the electric doors or take a serious look at what may be the drain.
Next I have to figgure out how to test for a drain with my multimeter!

Bruce
rumrumm
Baron

User's Age: (67)

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 07 2015, 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdIKNnwEjIs

"There's no 12-step program for stupid."

http://photo.net/photos/Lynn%20Johanson
river1
Earl

User's Age: (53)

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 07 2015, 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12766&highl ight=electric+fuse
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Rodder's Roundtable All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: