Logo
Rodding Roundtable
Home  |  Forums  |  Events  |  Members  |  Webring  |  Tech  |  Merchandise  |  Contact  |  Services
abLinks   |  Want Ads  |  Advertising  
   ForumForum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   AlbumAlbum   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classified AdsClassified Ads Search AdsSearch Ads

What are you doing today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 223, 224, 225 ... 249, 250, 251  Next

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Rodder's Roundtable
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enjenjo
Site Admin
Site Admin

User's Age: (69)

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 27 2015, 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rusting Wheel Nuts,Studs.. Reply with quote

Arnold wrote:
Don't know what the cure is for this..I like the look of wheel nuts,the studs/ends,black shiny rims on this thing.
Maybe all new studs.rotors/hubs whatever. Just seems like a pita
Maybe I will just have to put the hub caps back on Crying or Very sad
Maybe paint all the studs.new nuts. Or find longer,different nuts.

I just finished spraying this again with PB..seems that I might have to resort to some sort of grease on them..

These nuts and studs get rusty so fast..I have never seen nuts,studs get rusty so fast. Just crappy metal. Well..yes I do live in the salt capital of the world..but this goes through the car wash every few weeks.

Are there really such crappy metal in some studs,nuts that hub caps are mandatory now?

Maybe I will just take the nuts off one at a time,grease them or the stud..and put it back together and spray paint all of it Laughing

Maybe I will try and put some sort of grease? Silicone? Spray? Somethin on. I can't imgaine it not getting flung everywhere.Fluid Film?

Any ideas..Thanks Very Happy

Try this http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/ Used on new nuts it should last for quite a while.

purplepickup

User's Age: (68)

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 27 2015, 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm making a gate to the road at the cabin. I'm using 2" EMT conduit and bolting it together to avoid welding very much because of the galvanized coating. The biggest obstacle was how to smash the ends so I could bolt it together. 2" is pretty stout and I don't have a press. My first attempt was a "hold my beer and watch this" moment. I put it under a farm jack with the jack under the trailer hitch on my full sized ford van. It just picked up the rear of the van and didn't flatten the tubing. Then I looked at my wood splitter and after thinking a little I came up with a perfect solution. It is very easy to control and it worked like a dream. It's not going to win a beauty contest but it should work.

Here's a few pics. The gates are almost done but it's raining right now so it's break time.

gatewoodsplitter sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.23 KB
 Viewed:  52 Time(s)

gatewoodsplitter sm.jpg

gate ends640.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.76 KB
 Viewed:  63 Time(s)

gate ends640.jpg

gate single640.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.67 KB
 Viewed:  57 Time(s)

gate single640.jpg

gate 640.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.74 KB
 Viewed:  57 Time(s)

gate 640.jpg

phat46
Earl

User's Age: (64)

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 27 2015, 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thinking George! Looks good. We have a gate at camp in the U.P. That was put up by the former owners of the property, it is about three inch heavy tubing that is welded to about eight inch posts. Someone once snuck in and got locked behind the gate and there is no other way out, they tried to pull it open with a truck and chain and just bent the three inch angle iron that crosses where the lock is. Don't know how they ever did get out, but there's miles and miles of logging trails back there they must have figured out something.
Crosley

User's Age: (63)

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 28 2015, 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne: hope you are feeling well. Enjoy the posts.

I am not sure of profit in scorpions. SO many in AZ, seems like easy to catch. Annihilation of them is my goal.

On Youtube, people will watch anything. Not sure of profit on video of scorpions running around... although many years ago , a popular web camera was a guy had setup a live camera feed under his house. (?) , he was sure there were ghost under there.

It's not your age, It's the mileage on the body that adds up
kb426
Paladin

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 28 2015, 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got home from Pueblo. I met some great people who had came from BTTF's. I'm about to go clean the 32. I left friday after a rain. It was dirty when I got there and then friday evening one of the entrance ramps for the highway had the sprinkler heads turned the wrong way. I'm not sure it had ever been dirtier. I gave it a light bath at the motel and hid it at the show. Smile It was a great weekend. Good show, great weather.
WZ JUNK
Baron

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 28 2015, 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooley and I ran the Henry J at the Ozarks Hot Rod Reunion yesterday. (There is a thread on the HAMB with some pictures.) He made it to the final 3 cars. It paid for 1st and 2nd. Had my two young grandsons and their mom and dad with us. It was their first time at the drag strip and we all had a great day.

John

Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/hooley/hooley-2006-Story.html
enjenjo
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 28 2015, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had 5" of rain yesterday, every thing is soaked through.
GPster
Earl

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29 2015, 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on the Jeepster. I broke down and re-trimmed my hammer form for the dash and beat on it some more. After some manipulating (cutting, filing, bending bending,cursing) the dash panel was pop riveted in place and the instrument panel mounted. I got out the under dash wiring harness that I had eliminated all the unnecessary wires from and tried to figure out where it all went. I pulled out all of this stuff from the S10 (S15) that I stripped out probably six years ago. I got the correct factory wiring diagrams and enlarged them (so I could see them). I eliminated the components that I would not need and their associated wires from the diagrams with "white out". I made copies of the corrected (?) diagrams and reworked the harnesses to correspond. That all seemed like a good idea on a flat surface with good light. Under the dash with poor light after six years I forgot where anything went. I may also have to remember what I re-thunk. I did change the steering column to a newer one for tilt and the new column has a headlight dimmer switch in it. The truck I stripped had a foot operated switch in it and the wiring and connector are still in the harness. My re-manufactured harness doesn't have the wires taped in it but I don't have a floor yet to mount a switch to. That and I'd probably have to add some kind of relay to handle the headlight current, This doesn't mean that the "Bomb" will be running by the "Fourth of July" but maybe I'll be able to turn the key and hear the fuel pump start. GPster
WZ JUNK
Baron

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29 2015, 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a tig welder and I am learning a new welding skill. The welder is a Lincoln 225 like Sumner bought. Between advise from Sumner and my friend Doug Lee, who is a retired welding teacher, I hope to master tig. When I made my sons wedding band out of stainless I learned enough to get that job done, but I need to improve. I have started by running some beads on steel. I will practice a little each day and they move on to aluminum.

John

Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/hooley/hooley-2006-Story.html
wayne petty
Paladin

User's Age: (55)

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29 2015, 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WZ JUNK wrote:
I bought a tig welder and I am learning a new welding skill. The welder is a Lincoln 225 like Sumner bought. Between advise from Sumner and my friend Doug Lee, who is a retired welding teacher, I hope to master tig. When I made my sons wedding band out of stainless I learned enough to get that job done, but I need to improve. I have started by running some beads on steel. I will practice a little each day and they move on to aluminum.

John

i have always wondered about bending little pieces of sheet metal and adding magnets to the bottom bend to close off the areas around where i would be welding to keep the shielding gas from blowing away or being diluted. i don't have a welder currently.. i also noted in an online video that one company was welding galvanized arches and the workers were breathing the fumes.

just a thought..
kb426
Paladin

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29 2015, 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, if you have exp. with oxy/act. or stick, I predict it will take a few minutes to learn. If you have no exp. with alum., it will take a little longer. There surely is a good youtube vid that has a closeup so you can see the color change on alum. I think you will find you really enjoy this skill. Smile
Glen
Nobleman

User's Age: (47)

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 29 2015, 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WZ JUNK wrote:

John

practice without filler rod first, just get used to the pedal and hand movement and try puddling on your steel. then once you get the hang of how much pedal it takes to puddle, you can start adding in the filler rod. one step at a time.
moose
Nobleman

User's Age: (60)

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30 2015, 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayne petty wrote:

i have always wondered about bending little pieces of sheet metal and adding magnets to the bottom bend to close off the areas around where i would be welding to keep the shielding gas from blowing away or being diluted. i don't have a welder currently.. i also noted in an online video that one company was welding galvanized arches and the workers were breathing the fumes.

just a thought..

Magnets and electric welding do not play well together, especially strong magnets. The magnetic fields plays havoc with the weld current!

moose

allshops.org
pinstriperspage@yahoogroups.com
Arnold
Nobleman

User's Age: (62)

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30 2015, 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rusting Wheel Nuts,Studs.. Reply with quote

enjenjo wrote:
Arnold wrote:
Don't know what the cure is for this..I like the look of wheel nuts,the studs/ends,black shiny rims on this thing.
Maybe all new studs.rotors/hubs whatever. Just seems like a pita
Maybe I will just have to put the hub caps back on Crying or Very sad
Maybe paint all the studs.new nuts. Or find longer,different nuts.

I just finished spraying this again with PB..seems that I might have to resort to some sort of grease on them..

These nuts and studs get rusty so fast..I have never seen nuts,studs get rusty so fast. Just crappy metal. Well..yes I do live in the salt capital of the world..but this goes through the car wash every few weeks.

Are there really such crappy metal in some studs,nuts that hub caps are mandatory now?

Maybe I will just take the nuts off one at a time,grease them or the stud..and put it back together and spray paint all of it Laughing

Maybe I will try and put some sort of grease? Silicone? Spray? Somethin on. I can't imgaine it not getting flung everywhere.Fluid Film?

Any ideas..Thanks Very Happy

Try this http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/ Used on new nuts it should last for quite a while.

Thanks Enjenjo.Wayne Very Happy

Wayne..I did not know that nuts came that thick..and coverred.
Enjenjo..That Gibbs stuff sounds worth a try..Sounds a bit like "Fluid Film"
chimp koose
Earl

User's Age: (55)

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30 2015, 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent the morning machining the top of a blower intake for a friends blown alcohol tractor puller . Got a call from another buddy who runs a soon to be 9 second FE powered full bodied fairlane . Just modified his shocks a month ago . My summer is starting to get busy !
enjenjo
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30 2015, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started adapting a T5 to a 31 Chevy closed drive shaft. So far I have the shaft connection figured out, still pondering on a bearing/bushing to support the rear of the mainshaft.
kb426
Paladin

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30 2015, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, is where you have to put the bearing a reduced shaft size so you'll have to make spacers to adapt to the id of the bearing?
enjenjo
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 30 2015, 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb426 wrote:
Frank, is where you have to put the bearing a reduced shaft size so you'll have to make spacers to adapt to the id of the bearing?

There is bulkhead with a seal in the extension housing. My thought is to make an insert for the bulkhead that will hold a seal, and behind that a bearing or bushing, that will fit the slip yoke that is there for the Ujoint. All that is holding me up right now is making sure the yoke is compatible with the output shaft. Making the insert should be no problem.

enjenjo
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 03 2015, 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjenjo wrote:
kb426 wrote:

There is bulkhead with a seal in the extension housing. My thought is to make an insert for the bulkhead that will hold a seal, and behind that a bearing or bushing, that will fit the slip yoke that is there for the Ujoint. All that is holding me up right now is making sure the yoke is compatible with the output shaft. Making the insert should be no problem.

Thr shaft won't be in until tuesday Crying or Very sad But on the good side, the coils for Shelby's car came in today, they weren't supposed to be here until next thursday. But the bolts for the coils didn't come in. Crying or Very sad

kb426
Paladin

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 04 2015, 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be off topic for auto but I'll use auto skills. Today I'm finally putting my FET reverb kit that I bought last summer together. I'll post a pic later when it's done. Smile This reverb is a clone of the 1963 Fender tube driven reverb that is important to instrumental surf and rockabilly music. Instead of using tubes, it uses field effect transistors to power it. Useless trivia lesson over. Smile
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Rodder's Roundtable All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 223, 224, 225 ... 249, 250, 251  Next
Page 224 of 251

Jump to: