Logo
Rodding Roundtable
Home  |  Forums  |  Events  |  Members  |  Webring  |  Tech  |  Merchandise  |  Contact  |  Services
abLinks   |  Want Ads  |  Advertising  
   ForumForum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   AlbumAlbum   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classified AdsClassified Ads Search AdsSearch Ads

brake caliper help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Rodder's Roundtable
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chimp koose
Earl

User's Age: (55)

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 28 2015, 7:46 pm    Post subject: brake caliper help Reply with quote

Hey all, I thought I would ask here before going to pester the parts guy. He is going to ask for an application and when I say 77 -88 GM metric caliper he is still going to ask for an application and I am not sure what that application is. I am thinking it is a Malibu or similar body style car that I need front calipers for. The speedway caliper brackets I have are for GM metric calipers but they don't give a model or a year so I am not going to be able to get a parts guy around here to dig up a set on their computer screen .Can someone help me out ? Thanks in advance .
enjenjo
Site Admin
Site Admin

User's Age: (70)

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 28 2015, 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1981 Malibu would be a good start.
chimp koose
Earl

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 28 2015, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks . I will take a bracket with me when I go see the parts guy.
BFS57
Nobleman

User's Age: (72)

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 29 2015, 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello;
If it is the Chevrolet metric caliper, I'm thinking that CPP has an updated version of it that they make for this (Classic Performance Products)
It's beefier but fits the application.

Bruce
timkins
Craftsman

User's Age: (75)

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 29 2015, 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedway also has a metric caliper with an oversized piston. The normal piston has a diameter of about 2.49 and the oversize is about 2.70 and size does make a difference.
BFS57
Nobleman

User's Age: (72)

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 29 2015, 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timkins wrote:
Speedway also has a metric caliper with an oversized piston. The normal piston has a diameter of about 2.49 and the oversize is about 2.70 and size does make a difference.

Where do you think Speedway gets theirs? (CPP)

Bruce
chimp koose
Earl

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 29 2015, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I consider the application , 2200 -2500 lb car withdriver , and front end weight with the engine set back of a T , (maybe 1200 lb ?), I really wonder if a 6"tire is going to need any more piston than stock? I will be buying parts locally for the next while for sure as our CDN dollar is only about $.72 US right now. I kind of prefer using OEM style parts on a build so the parts are easily sourced from anyones inventory as well . I saw all those big bore calipers in the speedway catalogue and wondered if it would really be needed . I am all for optimizing any system but I would prefer to do it without speed shop stuff.
Rochie
Craftsman

User's Age: (73)

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 30 2015, 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chimp,
I used callipers from a 74/76 GM with Speedway brackets on my 2200 lb. 29 roadster and it pulls down straight and hard. I don't see the need for anything more than stock
jaybee
Earl

User's Age: (56)

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 01 2015, 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thinking, Chimp. Bigs and littles put far different needs on the brake system than stock/same-size tires at both ends.

If anyone is interested I've been playing with a very detailed braking calculator that's downloadable and operates as a spreadsheet. You can find it here; http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14424

Using the spreadsheet you can plug in different brake components to get the system as close as possible to "ideal". There's even a place for proportioning valve and balance bar (for installations with twin master cylinders) adjustments.

Two limitations to the spreadsheet...it's only set up for 4 wheel disk brakes, and there's no provision for a brake booster. I haven't been able to find a rule of thumb for how much pedal effort is reduced by a brake booster, but for our purposes It'd probably do to say "pedal effort is too high...add a booster."

Would the spreadsheet be appropriate for the tech archive?

chimp koose
Earl

PostPosted: Sun, Feb 01 2015, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys , I got 85 Camaro calipers today w/pads and 97 aerostar AWD front rotors . Looks like I have all the parts I will need for a while. Just used the pin hone at work to fit my kingpins to the axle and spindles.
kb426
Paladin

User's Age: (64)

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2015, 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaybee, thanks for the link. That led me to another site so I can build my own Lotus 7. I really need another toy! Smile
jaybee
Earl

User's Age: (56)

PostPosted: Tue, Feb 03 2015, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the trouble I always have with chasing car questions I have online...I always end up going "that'd be cool!"
chimp koose
Earl

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 04 2015, 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone wondering about the brackets I got from speedway motors ,they are part # 91641009 @ $9.99 each. The calipers I got were from an 85 Camaro w /5.5" bolt spacing. The rotors are 90 -97 aerostar awd .I just got my spindles to fit the axle tonight, had to machine up a cutter to face off material to get the econoline spindles to fit the 39-48 ford application axle .Now I will be modifying the caliper brackets for use on my spindles .I will keep you posted on how it is going.I will likely have to machine a bit off the OD of the econoline hubs to fit the new rotors .
taxpyer
Craftsman

User's Age: (68)

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 05 2015, 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimp koose wrote:
For anyone wondering about the brackets I got from speedway motors ,they are part # 91641009 @ $9.99 each. The calipers I got were from an 85 Camaro w /5.5" bolt spacing. The rotors are 90 -97 aerostar awd .I just got my spindles to fit the axle tonight, had to machine up a cutter to face off material to get the econoline spindles to fit the 39-48 ford application axle .Now I will be modifying the caliper brackets for use on my spindles .I will keep you posted on how it is going.I will likely have to machine a bit off the OD of the econoline hubs to fit the new rotors .

Thanks for the info Chimp, I'm still undecided on whether to go for the disc or stay with the drums as I want to retain the 4.5" bolt pattern. Aside from looks I really can't see much benefit when the drums are so beefy.................... Thanks again. Wink

chimp koose
Earl

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 05 2015, 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taxpyr the aerostar rotors fit your econoline hubs. They may require a little clearancing on the hub OD to fit inside the rotor but that could even be an angle grinder job.They are the same bolt pattern. If you would like, let me get mine working and I could copy the caliper bracket for you. Then the job would be a bolt on for you.I have $211 into calipers pads and rotors so far. ($50 core charge to get back yet).The speedway parts cost about $50 with shipping and exchange so all in it will cost about $250 with new bearings and seals.
taxpyer
Craftsman

User's Age: (68)

PostPosted: Fri, Feb 06 2015, 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimp koose wrote:
Taxpyr the aerostar rotors fit your econoline hubs. They may require a little clearancing on the hub OD to fit inside the rotor but that could even be an angle grinder job.They are the same bolt pattern. If you would like, let me get mine working and I could copy the caliper bracket for you. Then the job would be a bolt on for you.I have $211 into calipers pads and rotors so far. ($50 core charge to get back yet).The speedway parts cost about $50 with shipping and exchange so all in it will cost about $250 with new bearings and seals.

Thanks Chimp, I'll watch for updates. You've helped me get going,,, thanks for that.
Started my engine last week for first time,,,,,,, starting other mock ups as well.

chimp koose
Earl

PostPosted: Sat, Feb 07 2015, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update ,knocked the drums off the hubs and machined them down to fit the aerostar rotor .Requires about .200" to be removed . Glad I didn't use an angle grinder like was suggested on the site I found this swap info on. 5.812 " od on the hubs fits the rotors fine.
chimp koose
Earl

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 12 2015, 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Machined up some .500" spacers for the caliper brackets. Mock up shows them to leave about .050" clearance from rotor to outside pad with new pads and caliper fully seated to bracket . that should make them easy to assemble with a decent centering of the caliper. I will have to run this setup with the calipers to the front as they will not clear the steering arms when I try to run them to the back. I was hoping to run them in the back to clean up the look of the front as the T fender really exposes the front half of the wheel and I wanted to make some kind of fancy rotor cover scoop thingy to bling it up a bit. Oh well , at least I think I can route the brake lines so as not to have them flopping around out in the front of the car.
chimp koose
Earl

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 12 2015, 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention , the spacers I made were 1" od and drilled and tapped for 7/16 NF so they will fit snugly into the 1" counterbore on the back of the spindle and be torqued on to the spindle with thread exposed for caliper mounting . The info I saw had the spacers drilled out to 7/16 thru holes and welded to the bracket . I don't believe this method would have held the brackets as securely as what I have now.
kb426
Paladin

User's Age: (64)

PostPosted: Thu, Feb 12 2015, 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the pics?
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Rodder's Roundtable All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: