Logo
Rodding Roundtable
Home  |  Forums  |  Events  |  Members  |  Webring  |  Tech  |  Merchandise  |  Contact  |  Services
abLinks   |  Want Ads  |  Advertising  
   ForumForum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   AlbumAlbum   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classified AdsClassified Ads Search AdsSearch Ads

Target 550

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Rodder's Roundtable
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dusty
Knight Regular

User's Age: (75)

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 10 2015, 5:11 pm    Post subject: Target 550 Reply with quote

I got a call from Marlo Treit yesterday, and he says the car is ready for the run in July, if the salt is dry. He has timed both of the blowers that created harmonics, that almost destroyed the car on the last run. For those that don't know Marlo, he has set many records on the Salt Flats, and is going for the recip' driven streamliner record. He thinks the car is now capable of running 550 mph. I suppose we will see next month. The class he is running in runs in July not August. If you are interested, go to Google and type in Target550. Or use this URL http://www.target550.com The web site has a lot of info on the car, and some of Marlo's records.
The car is quite a piece of machinery. One of the neatest things about the car, is that it has an aluminum, skin body, but it is not painted. It is covered in vinyl. If you click on the construction tab, you will see the unique way they cut the vinyl, using a dental floss type of string, instead of a knife that would cause a place for stress cracks.

kb426
Paladin

User's Age: (64)

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 10 2015, 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold him a set of pistons for a small hemi combination back in the early 80's. He was a character to talk to. It's fascinating to watch how long people will pursue the salt. I was only there once in 1992. It rained the first day and messed things up but gave racers time to talk. I spent an afternoon with Don Vesco while working on his streamliner. Most of the racers had great stories of their involvement and how they got there.
Dusty
Knight Regular

User's Age: (75)

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 10 2015, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold Marlo a '57 650 Triumph, that I used to street race back in the early '60's. I worked for Dwain Taylor in Albany, GA, the owner of T&M Triumph. Marlo really is a character. He is just one of those guy's that has racing in his blood. The records that he has set is nothing to sneeze at. A colorful character to be sure.....
Crosley

User's Age: (63)

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 10 2015, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several long term builds of fast cars are coming out , should be fun to watch

It's not your age, It's the mileage on the body that adds up
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Rodder's Roundtable All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: